Friday, November 30, 2007

Visions of Clefthoof Bulls Dancing In My Head!

I thought I was going to go back to the BG's and crank out some more honor but once I saw how much honor I need for one piece of armor I decided to go back to my original plan and farm Thick Clefthoof Leather so I can get my leatherworking skill to 375. Once I get something in my head it's really hard for me to deviate from it. I keep pushing until I complete the task at hand. That said I made my first riding crop yesterday and fortunately that raised my skill one point so now I'm sitting at 366. Last last night the riding crop sold in AH so I've made my money back plus a few bucks (and there was much rejoicing). I've been farming leather like a man possessed killing the Clefthoof Bulls like a rabid Gnome on steroids. It's gotten so bad that last night I couldn't sleep so I counted Clefthoof Bulls jumping over a fence. Believe me it wasn't a pretty sight. Fortunately I haven't had seen too many leatherworking junkies in my favorite hunting spot so I've been able to amass 125 pieces in 2 days time, not too shabby. The problem is I'm most likely going to need another 300-350 pieces to accomplish my goal. OK so here's a couple of questions for you guys and gals. I can make a pair of Heavy Clefthoof Boots that requires 20 pieces of leather, this item is in "yellow" which means I won't get a skill point every time I make it. I can also make the Heavy Clefthoof Vest, this item is in "orange" which means I'll get a point every time I make it but it takes 40 pieces of leather to make one piece. How do I use my hard-earned leather to get the most out of it? Do I use twice as much leather and make the vests to get one point each until they turn yellow? Or do I roll the dice and make the boots until they turn green and see how many points I get? I'm thinking if I do the later I'll have a 3:5 ratio and get 3 points for every 5 pieces I make. I don't want to burn 20 pieces of leather for nothing and yet I don't want to spend 40 pieces for one point either.

/Ponders...

7 comments:

Saerath said...

I'd make the vest, at least then you know you're going to get a skill up until it turns yellow...for every time you make the boots and don't get a skill up that's 20 pieces of leather you might as well have eaten for all the good they did you

Syralis said...

Hey Aerislan it's good to hear from you man. I was kinda thinking along those lines too. The downside is that I'll need a LOT more thick clefthoof leather. Of course if I burn stacks of 20 and don't get a point then I could run through even more leather.

Pict said...

I say boots, in my experience with lw its more like a 4:5 ratio of gaining a skill point each time, and think about it this way-

40 pieces of leather, since its orange, it'll probably stay orange/yellow to 375, that means 360 pieces of leather, plus the odd 120 for failed-skill-gain crafts.

20 pieces of leather bringing you roughly to 370 until they go green, thats 80-100 pieces of leather (including the miss-crafts), so I say boots to 370 (around 100 leather instead of the 160 needed for the vests), and then something else until 375, that should do it.

Syralis said...

Pea,

I see your point. If I do get 4 out of 5 that ain't bad. 4 more points will get me to 370. Then I can use the other yellow recipes to get the last 5 points.

Saerath said...

sounds a lot like playing the lottery to me, but if indeed it is a 4:5 ratio you'll come out better in the long run...I'd have some extra leather on hand just in case

Pict said...

Oh yeah, by no means is my method fool proof, it just saves more leather in the long run.

Syralis said...

Thanks for the input guys. I'm up to 240 pieces and it still ain't nearly enough. If the Vests stay in orange 6 times then I would have 6 more points putting me at 372. This only leaves me 3 more points. I have two items in yellow but the leggings take 34 pieces. I belive these two items will stay yellow long enough for me to get 9 points but if not I'm going to have to spend 40 pieces of leather to make the vests. Last night I crafted another riding crop (it's still in yellow) but it didn't give me another point. :-(